How to look for a therapist
Looking for a therapist can be a daunting task. And if I happen not to be the right person for you, I hope this small guideline can support you in finding the professional you need:
- Look for someone with professional credentials (i.e who is a member of either the BACP, UKCP, BPC or BPS)
- Ultimately what is making the therapy work is the therapeutic relationship. So don't hesitate to meet with several therapists before choosing someone that you feel comfortable to work with.
If you'd like to understand a bit better the different types of psychotherapy, the UKCP has a brief explanation of the most common types, here.
If you need help urgently, contact the Samaritans or go to your nearest A&E services.
If you're on low income, many charities and training places in London offer low-cost therapy. Here are a few of them :
- Waterloo Community Counselling
- The Center for Better Health
- The psychosynthesis Trust
- The Bowlby Centre
- The Guild of psychotherapists