How to look for a therapist
Looking for a therapist can be a daunting task. And if I happen not to be the right person for you, I hope this small guideline can support you in finding the professional you need:
- Look for someone with professional credentials (i.e who is a member of either the BACP, UKCP, BPC)
- Look for someone in a location that is convenient for you
- Ultimately what is making the therapy work is the therapeutic relationship. So choose someone that you feel comfortable with.
If you'd like to understand a bit better the different types of psychotherapy, the UKCP has a brief explanation of the most common types, here.
If you need help urgently, contact the Samaritans or go to your nearest A&E services.
If you're on very low income, many charities and training places in London offer low-cost therapy. Here are a few of them :
- Waterloo Community Counselling
- The Center for Better Health
- The psychosynthesis Trust
- The Bowlby Centre
- The Guild of psychotherapists